VMP offers custom tuning for the 05-10 Mustang 4.0L equipped with an Aftercooled or Non-Aftercooled Vortech / Paxton / Shelby Supercharger system.
After extensive dyno and street testing on Rebecca's 2006 4.0L Mustang we have developed the ultimate tune for the Vortech blower. Our tune has great driveability, very good fuel economy (25-28 MPG highway with stock gears and stock pulley), excellent part throttle power, good response, and impressive WOT power. We have extensive experience tuning the 4.0L with all forms of forced induction.
The kit comes from Vortech in two ways, with an Aftercooler and 3.25"/9.5psi pulley, or with no aftercooler and a 3.6"/7psi pulley. You must be using the 39/42lb blue pencil injectors. You must add an air temp sensor and locate it after the supercharger or aftercooler, Vortech does not supply the kit this way. Our tune is designed to work with the vortech supplied 4" MAF housing located in the suck-through position before the blower. We can tune for larger or smaller pulleys. The stock fuel pump is sufficient for up to 13psi, with a wiring upgrade it will support 15psi.
An external air temp sensor must be installed after the blower/intercooler, you can purchase the connector and sensor here. You can drill and tap the discharge of the blower or intercooler for the 3/8" NPT threads of the Lightning threaded air temp sensor. You will need ~9/16" drill bit and a 3/8" NPT pipe tap, usually available from Ace or a local hardware store.
We do not recommend water/meth injection on intercooled superchargers. On non-intercooled superchargers W/M injection can be installed with the nozzle in a position that is 6-10" before the air temp sensor, so the computer registers the cooler air, it may ne necessary to inject on the inlet side of the blower. We can tune for W/M injection, but only recommend using straight water, then once tuning is finalized, adding in a little bit of meth and having the customer lean it out a few percent with on-device adjustments, while checking the A/F, you do not want to lean it out too much, because the engine can blow up if your W/M system fails.
**Please note, typical turn around time for tuning is 7-10 business days unless expedited. **
VMP tune results from Rebecca's car (click to enlarge):
- The base price includes the tune file and support, if you need an SCT X-Cal2, X3, or Livewire flasher select one of the above options. The above links are for information only, the flash hardware should be ordered through the current page.
- Please enter vehicle year, trans type, computer code, and mods.
- When ordering, specify your gear ratio and tire size if other than stock.
- We have a race fuel tune available, which must be used with high octane leaded race gas. We do not recommend using unleaded race fuel (click for more info). The race fuel tune increases performance and results in more consistent track performance. The improved consistency comes from eliminating ACT/IAT based timing retard, which is safe when using race fuel.
- Many areas now have 10% ethanol mixed into the fuel, often called "E10". Ethanol has a much lower energy content than gasoline, and effectively leans out the air fuel ratio, as much as .3-.5 A/F when there is a full 10% present. If your area does not use E10 at all select "No", if you think it may use E10 or the pumps say "up to 10% ethanol" select "Maybe", if you are sure all the fuel is a full 10% ethanol select "Yes".
- All specialty custom tunes include 6 months of support from date of purchase.
- If you provide us with datalogs and/or dynographs we will review them and if necessary send an adjusted tune at no charge.
- If you make basic modifications to the vehicle that can not be accounted for with on device adjustments we will send you an updated tune at no charge.
SCT flasher on-device adjustments:
- Your specialty custom tune file will include SCT on-device adjustments (click for available parameter list)
- Our tunes are designed to be very repeatable and safe. However, if you have the opportuning to datalog your vehicle we recomend you do so. We will review these logs at no charge. With our tune the air to fuel ratio throughout the RPM range at Wide Open Throttle should be between 11.2-11.8:1.
- We do not recommend adjusting spark without consulting with us first.
- You may adjust for different gears or tires.
- Automatic cars may firm up or soften the shift points at all throttle positions.
- Automatic cars may increase or decrease WOT shift point RPM.
- We safely raise the rev limiters in our tunes, we do not recommending increasing it further.
- The speed limiter is removed, but don't exceed the speed rating of your tires or driveshaft.
- When we email the custom tune file to you a datalogging configuration file will be included for SCT Live Link
- This file can be loaded into Live Link by opening the software, connecting the flasher to your PC and vehicle with the key on, going to the File Menu then to Open Configuration and then by browsing your hard drive for the .CF2 file.
- To datalog your car you'll need to warm it up, start datalogging at idle for 30 seconds, then slowly rev it to the rev-limiter over a period of 15-25 seconds, then make a WOT pull in 2nd gear starting at 1000RPM and going to 6000RPM. Try to put all of this information into one short datalog file and email it to Justin@VMPTuning.com. If the file is larger than 1 megabyte you will need to compress it.
- If you have a wideband you may connect it to your flasher using these instructions .
- Your vehicle should be in good mechanical condition and maintenance up to date.
- Never over-oil a KN type filter. If you have recently oiled the filter the MAF sensor element should be cleaned.
- Spark plugs gapped down to .030-.035" are a must for any vehicle with a supercharger or turbocharger.
- Premium fuel must be used with any power adder.
- The fuel filter should be replaced every 20,000-30,000 miles to ensure adequate fuel delivery.
- Files will be emailed in .LL3 format for use with Live Load 3.
- It is recommended that you use an X-Cal2, 3 or Livewire for their datalogging capabilities. If you have an SCT X-Cal 1 you can participate in our tuning hardware buyback program.
- If you have an 07+ Automatic vehicle you will need the latest firmware from SCT v1.15
Click here for Instructions on How-To load an e-mail tune onto your SCT Handheld Flasher.